In Between Designs has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit http://milanshimonolee.com and update your bookmarks.

June 1, 2009

Kitchen After

Welcome to my kitchen! I'm showing you this room first because it's the only one even closely resembling put-togetherness. I could be doing a much better job of recording the before and after of my decorating process, I know. Here are a few 'after' photos and one 'before' photo:

[before]


[after]

An improvement, no? The kitchen gets the best light in the mornings. This is the place where I'd like to make my lovely guests a savory dish or a nice steaming cup of tea out of the only mug I own. We take turns drinking tea. So far I've cooked many breakfasts in the afternoon. There is a ladder in the kitchen because I refuse to put it in the bedroom. The cabinet hardware that came with the kitchen are cute little forks and spoons. Adore.




I purchased the poster on the fridge from a design and art show by my friend Japtheth and our friend Ben. They are best friends. It says "THIS IS OUR DAY" in neat lettering that reminds me of old technology. I'm using my fridge as an inspiration board of sorts, at least until I build one for my desk area [photos to come].




I've decided on a black and white theme with all shades of green to accent. I hope to have a big turquoise accent on the wall by the fridge, and lots of little glass blue jars to capture that brilliant light that spills in somehow both at dawn as well as dusk. The chairs are a bit uncomfortable and so I'm also looking for nice and wide seat cushions.





Thank you for looking; come visit and I'll make you some good tea!

PS) Stay tuned for a post on the third annual Co/Lab Show that opened last week. In the meantime, read the article here.

1 comment:

  1. You have started a very interesting discussion on kitchen design. I'm a cabinetmaker who really does not want to make kitchens for a living, because the most of what is done in the US is just boxes with a "choice of doors and drawer fronts," the most of which are made in a factory somewhere. Boring. I want to do something else if I can, but what?

    Last year I started a blog site with a fellow cabinetmaker and have since been exploring this very subject. European design just absolutely blows my mind, and I find myself doing quite a bit on it, even though these are often modular kitchens that one would simply send away for and have installed by a local craftsman. But what fascinates me is the utter innovation of those designs, so I find myself returning to them quite a bit.

    I am also looking to design a kitchen for my wife in a too small space in a tract home, which necessarily lets out those wonderful European designs that excite me so. And whenever I find myself going out on a limb with some idea or another for our kitchen, my wife always grounds me by saying, "If you stick with the classics, you won't grow tired of them."

    So, what do you do that is different and yet timeless and practical and stimulating to make if you're a cabinetmaker? Damned if I know, but if I ever figure it out, I mean to make it for us and splash that baby all over the Internet!

    What you've written, though, has given me quite a bit to think about, and I thank you for sharing your concepts.

    ReplyDelete

Hello