In Between Designs has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit http://milanshimonolee.com and update your bookmarks.

July 17, 2009

Patterns and Choice

Some prints by Alan the Gallant (via Aleome) that I find absolutely astonishing. This is my favorite, esp against that soft alpaca looking blanket:


We're all happy it's Friday, right? Things I'm looking forward to this weekend include sleeping in, the Renegade Craft Fair at Fort Mason in SF, going to Davis to see my family and extended family on my dad's side, and some quiet time.

I've been feeling too-much-in-my-head lately, yet motivated at the same time. The ropes of twine that make up my life swarm around me in an underwater fashion, connecting me to the things that are the things that connect me. I'm whooshing around in this fishbowl of mine, letting go of the ropes that restrict me, hanging on and tying off the ropes that ground me. It's as if I have no choice to make, no decisions to weigh; it just is. If there's anything I've learned this past year is that
I am struggling to be *okay* with that. That "we cannot choose" is point of redemption, I think. Can we not choose because we can't make up our minds, or can we not choose because there is no other choice. Something to think about I suppose.

Going along that theme of certainty and choice is a fantastic movie called Phoebe in Wonderland that I watched last night and highly recommend. It's a beautiful story about a 9-year old (Dakota Fanning's little sister, Elle) who deals with very adult philosophies in the context of a child's world. My favorite quote from the movie:

At a certain part in your life. Probably when too much of it has gone by. You will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself, "But I am this person." And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love.

If that speaks to you at all, git this on your Netflix queue immediately.

If you're interested in seeing where my mind has been swimming around, I updated my Inspir-nets reading list to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello